OM-D E-M5 vs E-5 (build quality)

Started May 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
NoDOF
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Re: OM-D E-M5 vs E-5 (build quality)
In reply to philosomatographer, May 14, 2013

Hi,

I have no experience with the E-5, so I can't compare the two. But I do own a Canon 1DS MKII, which is a very professional camera, and I'm not disappointed by the E-M5's build quality. On the contrary, it was one of the factors that led me to buy one, instead of a Fuji. Some of the buttons are annoyingly small, and the kit lens feels cheap, but the body is fine by me.

But, I do think there may be an issue with the quality of the HLD-6 battery grip. My otherwise perfectly well-behaved E-M5 turns into a willful, obnoxious beast with a mind of its own when the grip is attached. It may or may not respond to the shutter button being depressed. At other times, it will randomly fire the shutter when my finger is nowhere near the button. Or when my finger barely brushes the button, far too lightly to engage the normal half-way action.

I am planning to run the Olympus program to check whether there is a firmware upgrade out there, in the hope that this will cure the incompatibility. If not, the HLD-6 goes back to Olympus for repair or replacement, under warranty.

I do like the battery grip, but I do not think it's absolutely necessary, as most people claim. The E-M5 body is small, but it's well-designed for ergonomics, with the thumb "pad" on the back and the finger ridge on the front. The add-on grip does allow a more secure hold, I guess, but it also takes away part of the charm of the system, for me; the small size.

Just my opinion, but I thought you might like to know about the grip issues.

Dave

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Hmm.New
Yup!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow