Universal preset for all NEFs with Aperture?

Started May 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wco81
Regular MemberPosts: 134
Like?
Universal preset for all NEFs with Aperture?
May 14, 2013

After importing/processing NEFs (D7000), I will adjust curves, exposure, highlights and shadows.  Sometimes contrast and definition but the first 4 are the main ones, to bring out details from shadows or overexposed areas.

But this is a lot of manual work, especially trying to do so on vacation, at night after shooting all day.

So I saved a preset and have tried applying it all a variety of photos, those shot in bright sunlight, at night, under cloudy conditions, some indoors.  Most of the time the presets improve the picture, by which I mean colors aren't as faded out and details show up in both highlights and shadows.

Rather than manually tweak each photo with custom settings that I eyeball (sometimes when tired at the end of a long day), I'm going to try to have this preset applied on import and then later, I can do additional edits on individual pictures.

But the end result is that going forward, probably at least 90% of my photos will have these same settings, since I rarely go back and re-edit pics I took months or even years ago.

Anyone else doing something similar?  There are a lot of beautiful pictures posted online but the process described for producing some of these pictures seem like way more work than I'd ever devote to individual photos -- almost tweaking or painting individual pixels.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow