Started May 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bosjohn21
Senior MemberPosts: 4,306
Like?
some math for the comparison of photoshope cs6 and the cloud
May 13, 2013

I like all of you was really dismayed by Adobe's latest marketing moves.  I do understand the enormous revenue losses to Adobe from piracy but I thought the lease pricing was super expensive. So I checked out some numbers as best I can.

So it seems that the average net price for photoshope cs6 is about $625 plus your state sales tax where applicable which is for most of us here in the usa and I am guessing the tax hit in europe is even highr. But here in california its base 7.5 percent to which counties and towns can add so the real world figure is about 9 percent or about $55. give or take which now brings my purchase price to more like $675 or so. Adobe over the last twenty years have averaged a new version about every two years at an upgrade cost of around $199 or $159 depending on where you shop. again in california the tax would work out to about $14 dollars for the cheaper price or 18 for the more expensive. again taking the average of the two prices and taxes a total of about $195 or so give or take a few dollers for different states and different price quotes on line. Note on all above we are speaking of real leicensed and legal versions of photoshope.

The new pricing with the cloud will be 19.95 per month for photoshope alone  with a year contract. which over four years works out to $957.50 and I am assuming any taxes are included in that price until I can find better information.  The cost of the photoshop cs6 assuming the upgrade is approximatly $850 to 875 give or take but within about ten percent for four years. so over the four years the cost difference is about a hundred dollars or roughly $2.25 a month.

Obviously the purchase price can vary up to ten or fifteen percent but it appears that the cost difference is not nearly as great as first blush would indicate. I used four year cycle as photoshope averages a complete new model ever two years. However beyond four years if your not forced by adobe to buy a new full version and start the cycle over the cloud price gets a bit more expensive. figuring two upgrades during the next four years at a cost of 400 dollars assuming you would not be required to buy a full new version making the cost for the second four years about ten or eleven dollars a month or over eight years an average of something like seven dollars a month again give or take.

you get automatic upgrading which is for the most part a blessing however some extreme upgrading will require longer learning curves to already over worked pro. Free service and a few bells and whistles such as the storage. Also for pros the leasing price will be I think all deductable rather than depreciated over the two years. a

If my figures are anywhere near ball park then it seems that the monthly difference in cost will be around two to at five dollars a month.

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow