Started May 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ak pinxit
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?
Re: Canon Digital Lens Optimizer (DLO)
In reply to TTMartin, May 13, 2013

TTMartin wrote:

asad137 wrote:

Are the results as good as the examples on the Canon site indicates?

In my experience, yes with a caveat: If there is noise in the image, the DLO algorithm will create odd artifacts (similar to what you might get using too strong an unsharp mask). For low-noise images it is really excellent; with higher noise images you will have to make a personal judgement between the extra sharpening and the added artifacts (DLO can be applied as a percentage).

Edit to add: Many of the example shots shown on the Canon side are taken at very small apertures (f/22 and the like) where diffraction is the dominant source of image fuzziness. In these cases, a more traditional sharpening method (like an unsharp mask) is likely to work nearly as well as DLO, because diffraction is a more-or-less symmetrical effect and whose transfer function can be approximated by the gaussian blurring in an unsharp mask algorithm.

I did my tests on three shot made with a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi and EF 40mm f/2.8 STM lens. Shots were taken at 1/200, f/5.6 and ISO 100. That camera and lens combination doesn't deliver distance information. In two of pictures there was a small feature in the outer 3rd of the image that I wanted to be as sharp as possible. I set all sharpening and noise reduction to 0. I set the strength to around 75. I moved the distance slider back and forth using the preview to find where that feature was as sharp as possible.

Unfortunately, I did not keep an unaltered copy of the RAW file so I don't have before and after shots. But, the results on both the feature and the overall photo was quite noticeable.

In my compare of DLO  vs. LR5b , with DLO I managed to get almost as good result as on LR , though it takes much more process power and time to apply the correction on single image (not to speak of batch) .

And yes , with DLO one have to play a bit with both sliders (distance and amount) to get artifact free image , since it's not taken for granted , that  pushing amount slider to 100% will give you better result .

Never the less , for free provided software it is really , really good tweak and alternative to 200$ and more DXO LR ...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow