Canon Digital Lens Optimizer (DLO)

Started May 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,280
Like?
Re: DLO only available with RAW via DPP.
In reply to MisterPootieCat, May 13, 2013

MisterPootieCat wrote:

meland wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

meland wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

Only available with full sized RAW files from supported bodies and lenses. DxO Pro does the same thing but has a much larger database of lenses and bodies, and it will work with JPEG images.

I'm not sure DXO is advanced as DPP in this respect.  Most correction systems such as LR and PP only use a general lens correction. Only Canon has access to the mathematical models it used in creating its lenses originally and therefore the ability to use that data in designing the software to correct aberrations for each lens at each focal length (including for zooms) and aperture.

Not true. DxO physically tests every camera body and lens combination when producing the lens modules. Their database covers considerably more bodies and lenses but Canon is adding lenses with each new version of DPP. Even the original Digital Rebel and the original kit lens are in the DxO database. And it works with JPEG, Canon's DLO does not.

Despite this do you think that DXO knows as much about lens design as Canon and knows how to correct the specific aberrations, or has access to Canon's design models to be able to do so?

I think the DLO module does a great job, assuming you meet all the prerequisites (Full RAW and supported hardware). The list of supported lenses is getting better, and lens/TC combinations were just recently added.

If DxO takes a lens and a body in to a test lab then I think the result would be probably as good or maybe even better. How do we know what steps Canon takes to create the DLO lens modules? Is it based on actual testing of the various lenses or "mathematical models"?

Look, even I can test a car and tell you (if I feel brave enough) whether it reaches its claimed maximum speed.  But that doesn't mean I can adjust the engine, gearing or anything else that would enable it to do so.  Or I can hook up an oscilloscope to a HiFi amplifier to tell you its frequency response.  But I can't necessarily modify that amplifier to change its characteristics.  Testing is one thing.  Being able to do something constructive with the test data is something entirely different.

You'll have to take my word for it on the fact that Canon uses its design data to create the DLO lens modules.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy DxO Pro, I've used it off and on over the years but was always put off by instability problems. Maybe the newer version has addressed this issue?

Maybe you've personally had some instability issues but no one I know has.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow