Which single lens to take to a family wedding?

Started May 12, 2013 | Questions thread
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,659Gear list
Like?
Re: Which single lens to take to a family wedding?
In reply to Charles Currey, May 13, 2013

Charles Currey wrote:

slimandy wrote:

Without even reading what lenses you had available my first thought was Nikon 24~120mm f4 VR.

Take the 50mm f1.4 in case you need the fast aperture. It will fit in your pocket surely?

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

I am always disturbed by this advice because it is true that the 50mm can go along in your pocket, but what do you do with your bigger zoom when the 50 is on the camera? What if the zoom will not fit so easily in your pocket?  I assume the pocket advice is because you are going light and not taking a camera bag. I wish someone would answer this question for me because I am always thinking that it would be handy to just slip the tiny 50/1.8 in my pocket, but my next thought is what do I do with the 70-200, lay it on a table, ask a friend to hold it, put it in the car, ask my wife to put it in her purse? All of these options seem to a greater or lesser degree to be less than realistic. So, what do I do with the 70-200 or the 24-70, should I be lucky enough to have one someday?

I always carry my camera in a shoulder bag such as a Lowepro TLZ mini. I don't like putting the camera in my car or anywhere else if it's not in the bag unless I'm actually using it. So if I am using the camera the lens goes in the empty bag. I always have a bag.

-- hide signature --

Chuck Currey

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow