OM-D E-M5 vs E-5 (build quality)

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
daddyo
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,906Gear list
Like?
Re: OM-D E-M5 vs E-5 (build quality)
In reply to philosomatographer, 11 months ago

I certainly won't argue with you about the difference is built quality. The E-5 is simply a sledge hammer disguised as a camera:-) It is amazingly well built.

I also would agree that Olympus would be very wise to tighten up some of the controls on the next iteration of the OMD line. One of my biggest niggles with the E-M5 is that it's a bit too easy to inadvertently change a setting such as the focus target position, or exposure comp.

All that said, however, I have pretty much abandoned use of my E-5 in favor of the much smaller, lighter form factor of the whole E-M5 system. I am using my E-M5's now almost exclusively for my professional work -- and I've not experienced any malfunctions or breakage issues. So, while the build quality is not up to the E-5, it is still very good in my opinion.

With the introduction of the new E-P5, the future looks very bright for the next OMD model. 1/8000 Sec shutter speed, built in Wi-Fi, the new accessory VF-4 which will certainly be incorporated into the next OMD model, 1/320 Sec flash Sycnh, improved IBIS, selectable 100 ISO setting, etc. all mean an E-M5 replacement that will be a stunning performer.

If Olympus can add a PDAF fix to allow fast focusing of 4/3 ZD lenses -- then they will certainly have a winner.

The EVF issue is an interesting one. Initially, I was concerned that I would not like the EVF. However, after a very short time of using it I find that I can switch back and forth from optical to EVF without any problem. As you pointed out, there are some real advantages to shooting with EVF -- the biggest being WYSIWYG viewing in any of the 'auto' exposure modes. Being able to preview WB, Exposure, DOF, live histogram, IBIS effect, etc. in the viewfinder is a great benefit.

God Bless,

Greg

www.imagismphotos.com

www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com

www.pbase.com/daddyo

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Hmm.New
Yup!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow