5DM3 AF Issue

Started May 12, 2013 | Questions thread
thinkfat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,184Gear list
Like?
Black feathers and spot metering = problem?
In reply to rseeley, May 13, 2013

rseeley wrote:

I was driving, saw a magpie land nearby, stopped, reached for my 5D3 with the 100-400 lens, removed the lens cap and started shooting. Camera was already powered on. I shot a series of 54 images of a magpie at close range – 20 feet. He was jumping around, good wing span shots, flew to the camera. I thought I had it made.

Then I looked at the images. Everyone was insanely overexposed – almost a complete whiteout. The ISO was 12,800 on every one of them and it was set at AUTO ISO! Shutter speed was 1/1250, aperture f/5.6. AIServo, Spot Exposure settings. High speed continuous, full burst. Center AF point selected. Auto ISO.

The Auto ISO should have selected around 200. It was good day light. I have been shooting birds for hours prior with no issues. I just shot it again as a test and no issues. But every magpie shot is ruined. It seems like the camera got stuck on 12,800 ISO.

I have installed the 1.2.1 firmware update last week. I have been shooting with the 5DM3 for about a month now.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Any thoughts?

Rich

I can imagine that a high contrast bird like the magpie might give the metering a hard time. Especially if you happen to spot meter the black feathers, the camera will try to bring that spot up to 18% gray. That can drive the ISO way up.

-- hide signature --

--

Everybody loves gadgets, until they try to make them
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thinkfat
http://thinkfat.blogspot.com

thinkfat's gear list:thinkfat's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow