ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 3,538Gear list
Like?
E-M6 will have phase-detect focusing and built-in VF-4 viewfinder
May 13, 2013

Hey kids,

The first E-M6 rumours are coming in, and according to 43rumours (dot) com, it will have phase-detect autofocus and the same EVF specifications as the recently-announced VF4.

It looks as though with each generation of camera, Olympus is working hard to fix the previous generation's biggest weakness.

We saw this when the E-P3 arrived, fixing the sluggish autofocus and slow handling of the E-P2, and the E-M5 was itself an answer to criticisms about the lack of a built-in EVF on all models.

In this case, phase-detection will help to eradicate the problems with C-AF, and the VF-4 will improve the shooting experience immensely (I read one comparison - Ming Thein, I think - in which it was stated that the VF-4 was an enormous improvement over the E-M5's viewfinder).

Personally, I think I will find myself sorely tempted by the E-M6 if Olympus manages to improve the handling substantially over the E-M5. That was the only thing that stopped me from buying an E-M5 when it came out.

How about you guys - any other features you are looking for? A new sensor maybe? It would be nice to get another stop of ISO and dynamic range, wouldn't it?

FYI, the camera is due to be released in September - the same month that I head off to Africa for a three-month safari.

S

-- hide signature --
 NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +11 more
Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-P3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow