Any Lightroom 4 alternatives that cost less?

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 12,761
Like?
I'm definitely moving away from Lightroom. . .
In reply to ohcello, May 13, 2013

ohcello wrote:

Hello,

So I'm trying Lightroom 4 trial and it's awesome for NR and highlight recovery....but not sure I can plunk down the $150 for it right now.... any lower priced alternatives out there that can compete? Thanks.

Adobe's recent moves has made me realize that Adobe and I are not really in a long term commitment   At this point for  me, it is probably a choice between ACDSee Pro 6 and Corel AfterShot pro.  Both have high image quality and both, new, are less expensive right now than a Lightroom upgrade.

I am very intrigued with ASP's Linux version.  Moving away from Window to Linux is a goal of mine, so the Linux version is most appealing.  But Corel's habit of creating a Linux version of something whenever they want some free publicity only to let that version die makes me cautious.  If Corel can address my concerns, it would go a long way to allaying my fears about their reliability as my software partner.  But they need to do it sooner rather than later.  I don't have to make a decision immediately, but I'm not going to wait around forever.

The free, Open Source titles like DigiKam, DarkTable, and RawTherapee are pretty good as Raw converters, however, I don't think they are all that great as organizers and as touch up editors,  Their big advantage is that they have Linux versions.  But right now, Gimp is the only serious open source editor for Linux.  I could get used to it, I guess, but I really don't want to use Gimp as my editor, especially if the 'touch up' capabilities of the DAM product are weak, and I would be using Gimp as more than just an occasional companion editor.

ACDSee is Windows only.  So it does nothing to help me move towards Linux, but the IQ is high, and the darned thing is FAST compared to Lightroom.  They also have a separate stand alone editor that is pretty decent (which I own and like), so going to an All ACDSee workflow is possible, though I've never used the two together since I used the free trial before their new editor came out, so I don't really know if they compliment each other well or if the editor is even needed with ACDSee's editing capabilities.

ACDSee would be the clear winner for me, if they just announced a plan to offer a Linux version of their popular photo titles!  I'm in no hurry, I can wait a bit to see how things shake out, but those publishers who see themselves as Adobe competitors need to shake a leg and start drawing up plans on how they want to respond.  (and letting us know what those plans are!)

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow