Any Lightroom 4 alternatives that cost less?

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,468
Like?
Re: ACDSee Pro 6
In reply to Henry Richardson, May 13, 2013

Henry Richardson wrote:

It appears that ACDSee Pro 6, Corel Aftershot Pro, Apple Aperture, and Darktable or sort of similar programs to Lightroom.  It is my understanding that they are all a DAM + raw processor + non-destructive editor.  I see that ACDSee Pro 6 is now $59 which seems like a very good price.  Anyone used it?

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

I used the free trial about a year ago and liked it well enough.  At the time though, I was committed to Lightroom and felt, that while perhaps the equal of Lr in quality, it offered no real reason to switch at the time.

Well, now Adobe has given me a reason to revisit my past decisions.  I recently switched to ACDSee's stand alone Photo Editor V6 (Pretty good - Full 16 bit editing, color management, layers, opens, but does not write dng natively, image quality very high) so I have an account in their community forums.  Last week I was in the forum and saw some threads on Adobe's move and people's reactions to it.  So I added a post stating that if the marketing people at ACDSee, Corel, and others are not putting in extra time on figuring out how to take advantage of this move by Adobe, they were nuts.

At $59 US, it is a good buy, I'd say.  Certainly, the free trial is worth the money!  I think ALL the DAM vendors should open up their free trials to even people who used their free trial in the past.  The move by Adobe has made many people question their commitment to Lightroom, and another shot at the free trial may bring in new sales as people revisit and reevaluate things that might have bothered them more in the past than it does now.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow