D800E night sky shots

Started Mar 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,683Gear list
Like?
Re: D800E night sky shots
In reply to zq17, May 13, 2013

Sorry for the slow reply. I mean 6 individual 90 second shots stitched as a panorama not on top. You can stack images on top to reduce noise and build signal. I think to do that you would need to track them. That is exactly what is done with long exposure deep sky object astrophotography.

The longest image I have done like that is around 20 hours composed of 10 minute shots stacked with extensive processing procedures. But that's with a cooled astrophotograhy designed CCD camera.

You can do it with a mirrorless or DSLR as well of course as many do. Deep Sky Stacker is a free program that allows you to do that. You could simply take short exposures like 25 seconds and stack 100 of them if the object was accurately tracked. But accurate astrophotography mounts are expensive and require a fair bit of learning to use well.

There is an app for the Sony Nex cameras called multi image noise reduction which works like that.

I suppose if the images were short enough like 30 seconds at 14mm you could use that as the movement is miniscule at that focal length.

Greg.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow