What about this grouping for Nikon DSLR forums?

Started May 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Lea5
Contributing MemberPosts: 565Gear list
Like?
Hmmm, no....
In reply to mlewan, May 13, 2013

mlewan wrote:

Even I, being a pure hobbyist myself, start getting tired of the large number of fairly basic questions from D600 owners in the "FX" forum. Would it make sense to re-organise the forums in the following way?

1. Pro Forum. This would be for cameras Nikon calls Professional: D4, D3, D800, D700 and D300. But not D600. It would (unfortunately?) include hobbyists like myself, but only hobbyists who have chosen to invest in high end gear, and who hopefully have much higher than average knowledge of photography.

2. High End Consumer Forum: D7100, D600. The owners of these cameras usually have at least some basic ideas about what photography is, so they might share experiences with each other. As far as I understand, these cameras lack not only a full magnesium alloy body but also some very basic functionality like a dedicated AF-ON button.

3. Beginner Consumer Forum: D3200 and probably D5100. Absolute DSLR beginners would probably typically choose these cameras. They have things in common like their inability to autofocus with non AF-S lenses.

No grouping is perfect, of course. Personally, I would fall not only in group 1, but also in group 3, as I have a D5100 as backup. The people who have excellent skills and little money would fall in the "wrong" forums, and people with little skills and a lot of money would also get in the "wrong" place. However, I have a feeling the grouping above would make more sense than what we have today.

I don't see the D300 in the Pro and D7100 as High End. I would Pro and High End put together with D3 series and D4 series, D800 and D700 and 600. The rest should be in the Consumer forum.

Lea5's gear list:Lea5's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow