Any Lightroom 4 alternatives that cost less?

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Lights
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,405Gear list
Like?
Re: Aftershot Pro
In reply to Henry Richardson, May 13, 2013

Henry Richardson wrote:

IME, ASP is buggy and Corel seems uninterested in fixing it or making it support cameras that have been out even for a year.  Check out the Corel Aftershot Pro forum to find out how unhappy people are there:

http://forum.corel.com/EN/viewforum.php?f=93&sid=d2f6829e7ec4c39371f6616656e24600

I own both LR 4.4 and the latest ASP.  I gave up on ASP and now use LR, but I am concerned about what Adobe has up their sleeve for LR.  I sure wish Corel would fix ASP though since it runs on Windows, Macs, and Linux.  It has some good points but, sadly, many deficiencies.  It would also be great if it could use a LR catalog and convert it while maintaining all the info and editing adjustments.  Corel bought the company that made it (Bibble) and then a few months later fired all the Bibble developers.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

I've pretty much got it(ASP) working OK on my machine, but think that it still does have some bugs, even after the last update. I don't use the catalog, but rather the folder tree system with the XMP files. Every once in a while it conks out and doesn't save files correctly. It could be that since I'm not using the cataloging, and have it set to clean the "cache" quite frequently, that it helps. As I said the highlight recovery function, while better in the last update (it's no longer changing white to pink) still isn't anywhere near Lightrooms or Photoshop. Yep I know they fired the Bibble staff, and that's disturbing. I'm thinking seriously of buying Elements, which will still run on my machines...having tried the free trial.

Like yourself I'm concerned about Corel "dead ending" it. As with so many of the programs they've purchased, or companies they've bought. Seems they support them for a while, and then "poof"...about the only one I can really think of that they've had continuous support for is Paint Shop Pro. At one time, Ulead's Photoimpact was a good product, until Corel bought it, and dead ended it. So as you, I have reservations, but Aftershot does have some promise to it, and is reasonably priced...it hasn't been updated with the latest cameras in a while, since December if my memory serves, and that is somewhat worrisome. I'm worried about Lightroom also, and since I'm still running XP, haven't updated to version 4 yet, but soon might have to update my computers...and my software. The thing that worries me about that, is that Adobe said something about Lightroom having some additional features within the "cloud" so...I think that's how they started with Photoshop...

-- hide signature --

My Gallery is here -
http://www.pbase.com/madlights
Why so serious? :The Joker

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow