ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Akshaj
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
Full frame user looking at m43 cameras
May 13, 2013

Hi,

Currently I am a full frame user (Nikon D800 and other Nikon lenses). I have been using Canon and Nikon systems in the past (APS-C and more recently full frame). Recently I am looking at the m43 and other mirrorless cameras (may not replace the full frame, but complement). I looked at both Olympus and Panasonic m43 cameras and have the following questions:

1) I see that Olympus OM-D is recommended by many people compared to Panasonic m43 offerings. Are they using the same sensor? How good/bad are their image quality? (I mean comparing each other)

2) I understand that the sensor size is small, but can the recent m43 cameras create very good/excellent ISO 1600 range images? (I may not be using ISO more than 1600)

3) How good are the JPEG out of the camera? I do not want to spend too much time on adjusting the RAW (I am already doing that for D800)

4) Lens quality - How good are olympus/panasonic lens quality in m43? I know that Olympus used have some great lenses back in the film days.

5) Video - How good is the video? I heard that Panasonic has better video, but how good is the video from Olympus?

6) Tele lenses - I see a lot of mid-range kit zoom lenses from both Olympus and Panasonic. How good are their tele zooms?

My budget is around $2500-$3000 for setting up a m43 system and would like to get some suggestions and opinions on this matter.

-Akshaj

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow