Tjalpics
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?
Focus speed on NX10/NX11 ?
In reply to viking79, May 13, 2013

viking79 wrote:

Carl Decker wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Focus is fast for a 50mm class lens and the light weight is nice.  Even the price is fair for the lens.

Thank you for the report and also for your last answer to my question.

Here dpreview wrote on the nx300 preview:

"Even in the relatively low light of a CES meeting room, focus with the 85mm F1.4 was fast and positive, with almost no 'jitter' - certainly a clear improvement on the solely contrast-detection system in earlier NX bodies and many competitive mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras. "

Is the same true for the 45 F1.8 on the nx300 ? Or what do you mean with "fast" ?

Thanks

The focus is fast and positive.  Goes straight to the point and stops.  Even if it hunts it goes end to end in about 1 second or less (from min to max to min focus).  If it doesn't need to hunt it just goes straight to focus and locks, in low light in might check focus.

Basically focus speed is the same as the Sony A99 with 50mm f/1.4 I am reviewing (which is pretty quick).  The A99 takes a lot longer to hunt (about 1.5 or 2 seconds) but it rarely needs to.  The NX300 is a bit more prone to hunting especially in lower light or low contrast scenes (I am sure the PDAF sensors on the sensor aren't as sensitive).

Compared to my NEX with 50mm f/1.8 OIS that I had, the NX300 with 45mm f/1.8 is blazing fast.  For focus speed it is definitely one of the better lenses for the mount now, especially considering the longer focal length and focus throw.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

Eric, I have the NX10 with the latest NX11 firmwares, but in the NX11 lens firmware folder there's no mention of the 45mm. Do you know if the NX10/11 is compatible with the 45mm (2d version)?

And since the NX10's sensor is of a much older generation, would the AF be much slower?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow