Lighting a Fashion Show Runway

Started Jan 12, 2010 | Discussions thread
Lawrence Keeney
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,207Gear list
Like?
Re: Lighting a Fashion Show Runway
In reply to Franklin Al, May 12, 2013

If you insist on shooting with flash, I would make sure it is approved by the organization running the show.

I have photographed a number of runway fashion shows. I started using flash, but found the images look much better by using the ambient light. The only problem I had in shooting natural light was on one fashion show, they had colored lighting that were automatically swinging around lighting different parts of the runway at different times. The images from this shoot were marginal at best.

I had one runway fashion shoot at a pool side at a major resort location just after sundown. I assumed they would have good lighting set up for this event. However, I took my A.B. ring flash and Vagabond power supply, just in case. It was a good thing I had my lighting because the only lighting at the location was the light coming up from the lights inside the pool, which was horrible at best. I did get some very nice shots with the ring flash though.

If I am asked to shoot another fashion runway event, I will make sure I understand what the lighting will be before I go, and even then I will have backup lighting with me.

-- hide signature --
 Lawrence Keeney's gear list:Lawrence Keeney's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow