D7100 @ the City (SB-700)

Started May 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
latestart
latestart Regular Member • Posts: 180
Re: This is why...

Pretty much agree with all your points, but I think also this way...

If people are in public they have given up their freedom not to be seen as they then are. But a person, by going out in public, has not willfully given up the freedom to be captured for ever as they were in that public time. The ability to freeze a person in perpetuity (without taxidermy) has only been available to graphic artists until the last two centuries, and then for a long time required not just willingness but patience (with the photographer) on the part of the subject.

I rented a Nikon with three lenses in the 70s, for a trip to the FL Keys. The people at the camera shop in Memphis just gave me what they thought I'd want; I'm sure it was an old camera and well used lenses. I got a 28mm, about an 85mm, and about a 120mm. They were all a breeze to focus. I became aware back then that I was purposely trespassing on somebody else's beauty sometimes; at the beach, at the store, at a restaurant.

I am pretty sure it is better to be out there and known for what you're doing. Want a picture of a girl in a bikini. Go up and smile at her and see if she'll let you. If she lets you do one and then another and then turns around and plays --- great.

Or — take some remote snaps; it's a 300mm age. I love pictures of the beach; I definitely mean the the beach/photograph residents no ill; I get pleasure in the pleasure they're having, really, and admire their natural gainliness.

Street photography  is the same thing to me. At least look a man in the eye if you are going to take his picture; that would be my personal feeling (usually). But gosh I like a good picture of a person. I consider individuality to be a miraculous thing and never tire of seeing it's appearance.

Thanks.

Greg

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow