Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Peter Berglund
Forum MemberPosts: 89
Like?
Re: Aperture beach ball on new iMac
In reply to msjhaffey, 11 months ago

msjhaffey wrote:

Hi and thanks for the comments.

I am pretty sure this is not a disk issue.  Given the way Apple manages the disks, the photos I am using would be on the SSD (it's the fusion system, where the most-accessed stuff it automatically placed on the SSD.)

In addition, this happens in specific circumstances: when I an doing something like skin-smoothing with a color overlay so IO can see where I've applied the smoothing.

On memory:  I have 32GB.  I am running a  few other things, but even when I am not, the same situation occurs.

It's probably worth mentioning that these actions (like smoothing) typically use a good proportion of the picture (maybe 25%)

Thanks again for the suggestions.  Any more?  

-- hide signature --

Sean
www.seanhaffey.co.uk

I think it is fair to guess that whenever the beach ball appears it is pulling the data from the spinning drive and not from the SSD. To test it, whenever you see the beach ball, try to remember which photo you were accessing.  Then go back a bit later to the same photo and repeat whatever you were doing.  If the beach ball doesn't happen this time, it's likely because this time the file was moved to the SSD.

-- hide signature --

Peter

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow