Windows 8 shocker

Started May 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,483
Like?
Re: OT: Linux KDE Plasma desktop
In reply to CAcreeks, May 12, 2013

CAcreeks wrote:

Jim, is Kubuntu the release to install if I want to check out KDE Plasma desktop?

I missed that part.

Try 'em.

If you want something with newer software, I'd test drive Kubuntu 13.04, OpenSUSE 12.3, and Korora 18 (usng a Fedora base) for starters.    Once Mageia 3.0 is released (RC3 is already out and next weekend is the target for Mageia 3.0 final), I'd test drive it, too.

I've got OpenSUSE 12.3 and Kubuntu 13.04 installed in separate partitions on my PC now.  But, I haven't spent much time in them.

I use Mepis 11 for day to day work using a Debian 6.0/Squeeze base.  But, I wouldn't suggest it to most users, since it's a bit dated now, and requires a bit of work to update sources and more (since a lot of the repos have changed since it was first released), with a better understanding of how the community repositories work for installing newer versions of applications than the Debian repos have available to avoid breakage.

Debian 7.0/Wheezy was released last weekend, and it's the new Debian Stable release.   Warren (the developer of Mepis) will have a newer Mepis release out eventually based on it (in very early alpha stage now).  But, that may take a while.

You could also install Debian 7.0 yourself and install KDE.  But, it's using KDE 4.8.4 versus 4.10 like you see in some of the more "bleeding edge" distros (Kubuntu, OpenSUSE, etc.).   Pure Debian Stable tends to be "rock solid", which is one reason I stick with a distro using a Debian Stable base (versus something like one of the Ubuntu derivatives that are based on a snapshot of Debian Unstable) for day to day use.

But, the trade off with Debian Stable is that the packages available for it are not as new as you'll find in some of the other distros around.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow