ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dark13star
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?
Fuji Raw Colors in Lightroom/ACR
May 12, 2013

Hi there,

This is my first post in the Fuji forum. I'm a longtime Nikon shooter who has lately been shooting a Sony Nex-7 with the Sony-Zeiss 24mm lens. I've got the Zeiss Touit lenses on order for Sony, but figured that now is the time to decide whether Sony or Fuji is right for me, so I bought an X-E1 and the 35mm f/1.4 to evaluate. I documented my decision here .

After one afternoon of testing, I love the Fuji. I love the way it handles; I love the nice prime lens, and I love the way the out of camera jpegs look, but I'm a RAW shooter and would like input on the current state of conversion using Adobe Lightroom and ACR. I am up to date on both, but I am still getting the "watercolor" look that I've read about here in some searches, but it seems that some of you are not.

The photo below is the Fuji OOC JPEG and it looks good.

Fuji Standard JPEG

The following is the standard Adobe rendering of it. Notice the red flower in the background.

Adobe Lightroom standard profile

The next one is my edit. I had to adjust hue and saturation on the red channel to improve the look of the red flower, but then had to boost yellow a bit. It is still not as good as the Fuji rendering.

Corrected Raw file.

I also created a color profile in bright sun with a PassPort, but it made this photo worse.

The following three photos show the difference of how the camera renders colors in the standard JPEG, the Adobe standard profile, and my custom profile.

OOC JPEG

Adobe Standard Profile

Custom Profile

Notice how different the grass and the bus is in each. I wish I remembered what the bus actually looked like. Here are my PassPort photos and the corrected one does match on my color-corrected monitor.

OOC JPEG. Some colors are off significantly.

With custom profile applied. Color match looks good.

I know this is a long post, but I hope the examples help. I would appreciate feedback from other Raw shooters out there using Fuji X-Trans. I love the camera, but would like to be sure that my Raw files are useable. I have some examples that are even worse than these that I can share as well.

Many thanks
Rich

dark13star's gear list:dark13star's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow