Started May 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
pris
Senior MemberPosts: 2,152
Like?
Re: On putting money into 4:3 gear ...
In reply to CharlesB58, May 12, 2013

CharlesB58 wrote:

veroman wrote:

I happen to disagree. Though the DSLR world has moved well beyond even the flagship E-5's capabilities,

Define "moved well beyond" please?

Frankly, I think most people get so fixated on 1 or 2 aspects of a sensor that they lose track of the overall capabilities of the camera. This is understandable, since it appears that probably 75% of the people posting on these forums know much less about photography than they think they do and have relied on the capabilities of the camera to make up for their lack of knowledge and expertise. Put one of those older cameras you mentioned in the hands of many of them and I expect they would be at a loss on how to produce a photo worth keeping. Not everyone fits this category: but then very few have demonstrated both the knowledge and ability to convince me that their demands/expectations for the latest, greatest features will do anything more than allow them to produce lower noise, more accurately focused snapshots and mediocre photos.

But then, it's their money so they can spend it how they choose.

I do wish some of them would realize that if they can't demonstrate they are able to wrest the absolute best technical quality out of their camera, combined with a passable eye for aesthetics, they really are "B Listers" when it comes to credibility regarding whether a given camera is  up to par.

I see too many low noise, high resolution photos that wouldn't make it past my (or most other experienced photographers) in camera delete session that are posted by people who also seem to be the most vocal about whether a camera is or is not up to par. I expect someone who is going to go on about a given camera being obsolete or sub par to show me results with another camera that prove they can actually make the most of the superior features of that other camera.

nothing available today brand new negates the fact that the E-5, E-3, E-30, E-420, E-1 etc. and nearly the entire line of Olympus lenses still represent excellent photography tools and always will ... provided one is working within their limitations, which I don't think are really all that severe.

The Conventional Wisdom on this website is that I should not be able to get results like this with an "obsolete" E520, 14-54 Mk1 and 40-150. However, I am quite willing to state that it is only financial limitations that has kept me from updating my gear. I have no romantic delusions about how the E520 has some magical something that would make it a better camera than the E5, EP5 or EM5 (or current models from other manufacturers either).

The key is, as you state, working within any limitations. That bring up my previously stated ramblings about how people don't work to make the most of a given camera: they simply want a new camera to make it easier to keep getting the same results.

This has to be one of the best posts I've read here in a good while.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
+1New
skeys MOD
Say,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow