Started May 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 3,417Gear list
Like?
E-M5 versus cheaper PENs
In reply to g_r_w, May 12, 2013

g_r_w wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

Sure the E-P5 has a few features that the EM5 does not have -- but the E-PL5 has some of them -- probably the key ones -- and the EM6 sure will have them and more.

An d what's with you calling the E-P5 a "fauxz rangefinder" while you compare it with a DSLR? Don’t you mean a "faux DSLR" -- the EM5?

Yes - I probably did mean faux DSLR since we're talking mirrorless... they're both "faux". But the point was about form factor to which most have come to differentiate those with a pentaprism like box to those without as DSLR versus range finder regardless of how accurate those designations are in technical terms, unless you want to be pedantic about it. I don't think it makes the point less valid.

I don't really get your point about the EPL-5. It has some of the key features of the E-M5... so does the EPM-2, but I'm pretty sure that you couldn't make an argument for either camera that they have features equal to or exceeding the E-M5, but you could for the EP-5.

I can easily make an argument that the E-PL5 and EPM-2 have "features equal to or exceeding the E-M5".

The most important of these is RAW image quality, which is absolutely identical between the three cameras.

The E-PL5 and E-PM2 are smaller, lighter and cheaper than the E-M5, all of which are features in their favour. Weight and size are the most important features of M43 cameras - otherwise you might as well shoot DSLR.

-- hide signature --
 NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Sony QX1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow