Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chembro
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?
Optimum aperture for 4/3s
11 months ago

After four Oly 4/3 cameras (still have them, the best being my E30) I have graduated into m4/3s with an OMD-EM5. While I'm enjoying the move I'm not planning to sell the E500,410,510,30 yet, nor the lenses. What I have recently learned though, is that with m4/3 I should shoot in the limited range f4 to f8 to get maximum resolution. With the 4/3 cameras I was more liberal, especially with landscape type images, frequently going up to F16 for maximum DOF.

One of the reasons I was slightly dissatisfied with my beautiful E30 was the slightly soft rendering of my images even shooting RAW. I attributed this softness to the AA filter, especially after the E5 appeared on the scene with a thinner AA and supposedly better resolution using the same sensor.

Now I'm wondering if I should re-evaluate 4/3 using rather wider apertures across a narrower range. The E30 is a really nice camera to operate and use and I would like to use it more and believe it has a future with me.

Putting the question to experienced 4/3ers here, what is your usual range of apertures for maximum clarity and resolution, avoiding as far as possible CA and dispersion effects? I'm particularly thinking in relation to my Zuiko 12-60. I also have in mind the usual advice that my Zuiko 70-300 is only really useful at f8 onwards, a mantra that I have followed assiduously to date. I'd be most grateful for some words of wisdom across the range.

Respectfully yours, Chembro

Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Pentax Optio E50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow