70-200mm f4 RRS collar is here

Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
JurassicPizza
Contributing MemberPosts: 799Gear list
Like?
Re: 70-200mm f4 RRS collar is here
In reply to eajames, May 12, 2013

eajames wrote:

Perhaps the biggest issue is the balance of lens and camera.  Without the collar, my D800/e is lens heavy; with the collar, the rig is significantly camera heavy.  Bottom line - why bother, particularly given the other design issues I've found.

All in all I can't see compromising the lens's portability for a minimal, if any, advantage in on-tripod stability.  One of the greatest attributes of the 70-200mm f4 is its weight and size; I never hesitate to bring it along.  Sure, I'll lose the landscape-to-portrait rotation facility, but I've got an L-plate.

Thanks for that, it was the main thing I was wondering about with this replacement collar; sounds pretty much the same as the balance with the OEM collar, which I tried but returned.  This is my balance solution for this lens, an L-bracket plus small rail. It will stay in that position on the tripod even with the head completely loose.

-- hide signature --
 JurassicPizza's gear list:JurassicPizza's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow