Started May 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
bobgeorge
Contributing MemberPosts: 589Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens Filters?
In reply to John Deerfield, May 12, 2013

John Deerfield wrote:

POS Photo wrote:

Just recently bought my first mirrorless camera, a Sony NEX-3N. This is my first camera above a point and shoot.

I've been trying to read up on lens filter possibilities, but I'm still have some questions.

Read this: http://www.bythom.com/filters.htm It should answer most of your questions.

- Cheap vs Expensive. What are the qualities of a filter that are most important to keep the image the best it can be?

Light transmission and light reflectance (flare) will be the two big issue. Have you ever gone to have a print framed? They usually give you three glass choices: cheap, reflects a lot of light (glare); better, less glare; and best, least glare UV protection etc.

- How do I know if a filter will work with my camera/lens? It seems a 49mm filter is still made in a number of ways to take advantage of the type of lens it is on.

According to specs, you need a filter with a 49.5mm thread. If it has that, you should be good. If it doesn't, you will need a lot of tape.

- Suggestions on brands? I hear B+W is a top choice, but are there some good value brands for a cheaper price?

You get what you pay for. We can't know what image quality sacrifices you are willing to accept. We can't even know what the different potential image degradation might be for any given filter. A filter can be a lot like a winning race horse. Often the purse for the 1st place horse is over twice as big and the 2nd place horse. Was the first place horse twice as fast? No. But it was fast enough for first place. And a lot of people were happier with second place than dead last. We don't know your horse, your track, or your tolerance!

- What assortment of filters would be good for a beginner to have at their disposal?

What are you taking pictures of?

I have the 16-50mm lens and 55-210mm lens for the NEX-3N.

I would like to get some rather cheap lenses that don't completely ruin my picture quality. Under $30 would be nice. I'm thinking many of you might say that its a waste at that price, but please let me know why.

You are correct, cheap and quality never go hand in hand. Not my rule. It looks like a Hoya CPL can be had for $40 so you aren't too far off (of course the B+W is a lot more!).

I've heard number of coatings and glass quality are things to look at, but I don't really know what is good or any other qualities to look for.

Read the article. Trust your gut.

Here's one lens I'm looking at ...

http://www.amazon.com/Tiffen-49CP-49mm-Circular-Polarizer/dp/B00004ZC9L

...But like I said, I don't know if this works with   cameras or what.

It should fit. As to everything else, it's your horse race.

Here's a really cheap 3 filter pack...

http://www.amazon.com/Zeikos-ZE-FLK49-Multi-Coated-Filter-UV-CPL-FLD/dp/B001KNDWRY/ref=pd_cp_p_2

...What makes these so cheap?

The price.

Would these be terrible to use or would I still enjoy them as I am just a beginner?

You might be able to enjoy them as small coasters? But you don't even need a UV.

Any input would be much appreciated!

Read the article, post back with any more questions.

What type of filter would be good at taking night time photos of buildings/monuments that are lit up?  Thanks!

-- hide signature --

BobGeorge
--------------
Nikon D600
Nkon 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
Tamron SP 90MM F/2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro

bobgeorge's gear list:bobgeorge's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow