Good Tripod for the $$$

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
bobgeorge
Contributing MemberPosts: 587Gear list
Like?
Re: Good Tripod for the $$$
In reply to John Deerfield, 11 months ago

John Deerfield wrote:

Legs look decent to me, but no personal experience. The standard drawback to a center column tripod is that you can't get the legs spread all the way out because the center column will hit the ground first. I haven't use that head, but I have used a similar pistol grip head from Manfrotto. At best, it's OK. For macro, it is inadequate. Inexpensive ball heads (and this is essentially a type of ball head) will breathe or settle. Meaning you release the grip and then the camera "settles" just a tiny bit. Now for many applications this probably doesn't matter or perhaps it doesn't matter a great deal. But for macro, this is the kiss of death. You painstakingly frame your shot, then release the grip, camera settles, and now your flower, bug, whatever, is in a completely different spot. For an inexpensive head, a 3-way pan & tilt (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553704-REG/Manfrotto_460MG_460MG_3D_Magnesium_Head.html ) is hard to beat. If you must have a ball head (and I love ball heads), this is about the least expensive I would consider: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554685-REG/Kirk_BH_3_BH_3_Ballhead_with_Quick.html.

Thanks John.  Good info.  Since I already ordered the pistol grip so I can't cancel my order.  If it doesn't work good then I'll sell it on ebay & order the one you recommended 

-- hide signature --

BobGeorge
--------------
Nikon D600
Nkon 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
Tamron SP 90MM F/2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro

bobgeorge's gear list:bobgeorge's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow