Windows 8 shocker

Started May 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,440
Like?
Re: ribbon is great
In reply to Sean Nelson, May 11, 2013

Sean Nelson wrote:

You're absolutely right about the ribbon layout.   It drives me nuts sometimes.

The other problem with the ribbon is all of the real estate that it takes.   I keep my ribbon minimized, which means I have to click on one of the ribbon tabs to open it up and then click on the appropriate icon.   That means it's no faster than a traditional menu bar for me.

I actually find it faster to find things on a drop-down menu because I just have to scan one list.   With the ribbon I first have to guess which group is likely to hold the tool I want, then I have to scan the area horizontally AND vertically to find what I want.   And all too often I end up guessing wrong and then having to look at other groups - and occasionally other tabs.

Page breaks used to drive me nuts - on the traditional drop-down menus you'd choose "Insert -> Page Break" to add a page break to a document, yet they're nowhere to be found on the "Insert" tab of the ribbon.   There are a lot of other similar choices of tool location that I find to be very non-intuitive.

I've made peace with the ribbon, but the biggest reason I was able to tolerate it is because I've put my most frequently-used tools onto the quick access bar.  I still dread having to find some tool that I don't use very often.

Ribbons look pretty and that's just about their only redeeming quality. They chew up lots of real estate but don't make anything easier to find. My only peace comes from avoiding the darn things.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow