Regular MemberPosts: 328Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens dilemma: Multiple Primes vs Standard zoom
In reply to Doug_PS, May 11, 2013

Doug_PS wrote:

LightDriver wrote:

Doug_PS wrote:

LightDriver wrote:

On a slightly different note, what are your impressions of the 40mm?   I have been pretty happy with the IQ.  I will probably get rid of my 24-105 and replace by adding a third prime lens to my existing 14mm II and 40mm pancake primes.  I think the 14 and 40mm is all I need for most of my nature and urban landscapes.

I'll add that the newer zoom (24-105 and 24-70) are supposed to be great lens but I have not been knocked out by the 24-105 (I don't own the 24-70 so I can't comment on that lens).

That's an interesting question.  I will say that the 40mm Pancake is very, very sharp.  My copy is sharp straight from 2.8.  I've taken a lot of photos with this little lens.  I took it on a trip to Paris over Christmas as my main "normal" lens with the 5DMKII.  But for some reason, I'm never "wowed" by the results.  I can't put my finger on it at the moment.  I don't know if it's a lack of contrast, color, etc...  Heck, maybe it's a built in bias that a $150 lens can't really be that good.

While I've got the Sigma, I'll do some side by side comparisons this weekend under different conditions (indoor, flash, bright conditions, etc....) and see how it holds up.

Let us know how the comparison goes, I'm interested in hearing what you find.

Sure will!  I'm interested to see the comparisons too

I did quite a bit of comparison shots between the Sigma 35 and the Canon 40mm Pancake....not that it's necessarily fair to compare the $150 Pancake to the $900 Sigma, but to see just how well the Pancake did against the Sigma.

I've got my own opinions, but I'll let you judge for yourself.  The 5 photo's below were taken minutes  apart with roughly the same lighting conditions.  All were shot in raw, ISO 100 and were processed identically in Lightroom 4 (a bit of clarity, vibrance and sharpening applied to each).  The first 3 are from the Sigma 35 f/1.4 (at 1.4, 2.8 and 5.6 respectively).  The last two are from the Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake (at 2.8 and 5.6).  I stepped back just a bit for the two pictures with the pancake to try and get the same perspective.

Doug_PS's gear list:Doug_PS's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow