Should I go TTL or Manual w/Lightmeter?

Started May 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
mbloof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?
Re: You learn little about exposure with TTL
In reply to DotCom Editor, May 11, 2013

Everyone seems to forget that the #1 reason to pay extra for the eTTL2 is the wireless remote control of your flashes. Automatic mode confused and not working? Simply switch to manual from the back of the camera and adjust your lights from there.

Without remote power control your ether moving or playing pogostick (up/down) with light stands.

I know of no amount of money that will 'smarten up' a cheap+dumb on/off flash unit so that you have remote control of its power level. There are some options for very high end studio gear that allow you to do the same thing (remote control of the power levels) but we're talking some serious cash.

Much like our cameras the 'smart' TTL flash units DO HAVE manual modes. Given the comically illogical distaste for TTL/smart flash units it seems that everyone thinks that these devices are "STUCK" in "AUTO" and are otherwise useless.

-- hide signature --

(insert brag sheet here)
A sampling of my images are in my DPR gallery
Technologist @ Large
- Mark0

mbloof's gear list:mbloof's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 400D Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow