Started May 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
day2012
Forum MemberPosts: 90
Like?
I've been trying to think about why I love my X-E1 so much
May 11, 2013

I bought it ten days ago as a late birthday present for myself. I got the kit and also bought the 35mm 1.4

Since then I've been out shooting a few times. I must say that I've not really got many shots that I'm especially proud of. My X-E1 has not magically cured my of my bad habits. I still have a lot of skies with blown highlights. I still make settings in the camera and then forget to change them when I move on to another subject. I still make idiotic mistakes with composition. However, I'm enjoying my camera more than any other camera I have owned (and to be honest, I've owned a lot).

The thing that really stands out for me is that more than ever before, I feel like I know how to control the camera. I love having the aperture, shutter speed and exposure compensation dials. I'm still not using this knowledge to make great pictures, but I feel at least that I know how to get better. I have never had a camera before where I have played with ISO, WB, bracketing etc so much. In the past, I've never done much delving into menus to change settings. Obviously, some things need the menu on the X-E1, but I feel much more comfortable accessing those things on this camera.

I recently went on a trip to York and just took the 35mm. I took a lot of shots indoors and I messed up slightly by setting negative EC for some shots outside and then forgetting to change it for indoors. At the same time, however, I had selected exposure bracketing, so all was not quite lost. I just loved shooting with that lens and I loved not having to think too much about zooming; if I could move my feet to get the composition I wanted, that was great. If not, no problem, I just went for another opportunity elsewhere.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with all of this. In the past I have had SLRs and DSLRs and in all cases, given up taking them out anywhere because I just could not be bothered to carry them. The X-E1 is lighter of course, but it feels like there is more to it than that. I guess that very quickly I have got to the stage where I know how to do any adjustment I like for a particular situation. As I said, I'm not always making the right choices, but it's a lot of fun not having to think too hard how to make a particular adjustment.

Anyway, I'm rambling a bit, so here's one shot from York. I adjusted exposure and contrast a bit using iPhoto.

Barley Hall, York

Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow