Started May 11, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kaeoize
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
Camera or Lens?
May 11, 2013

I'm looking to upgrade my system soon and I have a bit of a dilemma. I'm looking to get more into landscape photography over the course of the summer as it is something I enjoy doing. However, I can't decide what would be a wiser investment - a wider lens or a better body. I've looked around and have narrowed my choices down based on specs and cost to the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 lens and the D7000 body. The Sigma gets some good reviews, seems to perform well for what I want and is within budget. The D7000 is the highest spec camera I can get within budget. My problem is that I can't afford to buy both at once and I'm not sure which would give me the best improvement in results. Now I know the default comment in this situation is that a lens is more important - and I would agree - however there are other circumstances to consider.

Before I go any further I feel I should list my current equipment to give a better idea of what is lacking in it. I use a Nikon D3000 body, Nikon 18-55mm kit lens, Nikon 35mm f1.8 and Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 lenses. I also have an SB-600 flash with wireless remote and all the usual assorted accessories.

The confusing factor in my decision is that next year (academic year - I'm a student) I'll be getting into some nightclub photography to make some extra money. I can see pros and cons in whatever I choose to purchase - a wider angle lens will give me a larger field of view which is beneficial in that sort of photography, however I have seen lenses such as the 35mm being used as well because of their good low light capability (and no, I don't think I can really justify the additional cost of the 10-20 f3.5 for a job which will be at most a few hours a week). As far as the camera body goes, the D7000 seems to have much better iso performance and the added benefit of weather sealing should help protect it from the people who think it's a fantastic idea to dance whilst holding their glass of vodka and coke. Additionally, the D7000 can fire my flash remotely out of the box however as I do already own a wireless flash kit that isn't a game changer, it just cuts down on bulk. Critically, the Nikon D7000 is currently part of the Nikon UK cashback offer meaning I can get it for £542 (It was at £509 yesterday so with any luck it will go back down again before the offer ends).

So based on the above which would provide the bigger benefit to me?

Kaeoize's gear list:Kaeoize's gear list
Nikon D3000 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +2 more
ANSWER:
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow