Lightroom 5 Beta and Snow Leopard

Started May 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
raptor50
Forum MemberPosts: 98
Like?
Re: I ran into the same issue, however
In reply to mustaphapashu, May 11, 2013

mustaphapashu wrote:

I totally agree with you about this and you can add one other gripe: ML runs very slowly on anything but the newest hardware. The art institute I teach at has had major speed issues in their computer labs with the iMacs that were updated to ML.

Sorry, I have to disagree with you on this point. There may be an issue at your art institute but it would be unfair to both Apple and a potential 'upgrader' to make a sweeping statement such as yours.

I have a 2008 Mac Pro (built Dec 2008 so it's a 3,1) with 16GB RAM and 2 x 3Ghz processors. One of my friends has a 2009 iMac with 4GB RAM and 1 x 2Ghz processor. Like a lot of people we have both noticed an improvement in overall performance of our particular machines.

I have read a few statements such as yours but from my research on this topic (before deciding to go ahead with the upgrade) I believe that there are far more instances of performance boost or remaining the same than any degradation.

Possibly the disparity comes from how the upgrade is carried out and what the state of a particular system is immediately prior to upgrade, I don't know, but it isn't a fact that 'ML runs very slowly on anything but the newest hardware', it IS a fact that in SOME cases after upgrading to ML SOME machines do perform worse than before the upgrade.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow