From first effort at street.

Started May 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Wormsmeat
Senior MemberPosts: 3,957Gear list
Like?
Re: With any photograph always ask yourself...
In reply to kgwhite, May 11, 2013

kgwhite wrote:

All excellent images. The first one and the last two are classics.

That second to last one seems to show an influence by William Klein. Similar dynamic to several of his important candid/street images.

Wow, thanks man, Praise indeed.

The last is pure poetry echoing Kertesz who was not a street photographer in the current sense. Kertesz was also known to be quite uncomfortable with expected conventions like camera types, lenses, lighting and compositions in his personal work.

Yes. I'm proud of that one. It won a 500 entry street photography challenge and immediately sparked a debate about whether it was street photography at all because it was taken with a telephoto. I was also accused of staging it but I'd never seen her before in my life. Just one of those shots that you pray is as good when you get home as you think it is.

A lot of people commented that this shot of mine is very similar to a Andre Kertesz image. I have to confess I'd not heard of him at the time.

I think it is worth pointing out that you didn't just go and shoot these excellent images without also shooting a number, maybe a large number, of images that are not shown here.

True.

You have to be both a good photographer and lucky because the dynamics of the shooting environment is constantly changing. I'm guessing that some of these were made by waiting for a composition to develop in a specific location. Others appear to be spontaneous.

True again but you do develop a feel for where things might occur or yield something.

If you have the time, some background on your candid shooting technique or scouting likely locations/conditions would be worthwhile to this discussion.

Hmm, it helps to live in London to be honest. A lot of these were taken in my lunchbreak just wandering around the Trafalgar Square / Whitehall area.

Thanks for your kind words.

Wormsmeat's gear list:Wormsmeat's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow