D600 arrived today...

Started May 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,388Gear list
Like?
Bart, something to consider.
In reply to Steve Bingham, May 11, 2013

Bart, here is what I did - you might want to try this also. Although most of my shooting is in the f8 range, sometimes I shoot at smaller apertures for greater DOF. So I looked through my old D700 files (FX) to find some raw files. I easily found about a dozen that I could inspect that were at f16 and one at f18. At 100% the dust spots were not very visible but they were there. So then I did what I frequently do, I used a Nik Color Efex Pro filter called the  Tonal Contrast filter at default values . . . and saw 13 dust specs stand out in the dark blue sky - and even more with dark clouds. I had not noticed them before. When I print large, however, I always check for these sort of things - and clone out or use the Spot Healing Brush - takes mere seconds. Of course I always took precautions with the D700 and used my Rocket Blower (large version) frequently.

Is my D600 more dust prone than my old D700? I don't think so. I just think we are looking harder and expecting to find! You might want to check some of YOUR old f16 files?

Anyway, looking forward to some of your spectacular landscapes.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow