All purpose lens set for beginner?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
trax87
Regular MemberPosts: 258
Like?
Re: All purpose lens set for beginner?
In reply to smallrewards, 11 months ago

smallrewards wrote:

so what are you leaning toward? And what is your primary purpose(s) to shoot? Ilove my NEX and you probably will to, but quality e mount glass is still not up to par with the diversity of canon and Nikon of course.

I haven't decided yet, but I am probably leaning toward the Sony 35/1.8.  I intend to continue to use the kit lens for a while longer though and probably force myself to work at particular focal lengths to see what works best for me.

My purposes are not really concrete yet as this is a budding hobby for me and it is not clear where it may lead me and where my greatest interests may be.  What I am going on at the moment is only what I have done in the past, which is to take pics at family events and while traveling.  Looking back at travel photos, in addition to day shots in bright light, it seems there are often night photos and indoor pictures at places of interest (museums, old estates, restaurants etc.).  I also enjoy going to small clubs to listen to music from time to time and may want to take pics when allowed.   Prior to buying the NEX I was using (and still use as a pocket camera) a Canon S90 point and shoot which has a 2.0 lens at its widest (approx 28mm equivalent).  I got some good pictures with it, but pictures could get noisy in low light when I had to push ISO a little.  The kit lens and tele zoom that I have will work for many things, but I see a flexible lens decent for lower light situations to be a bit of a gap.

Gamma is probably right that I wouldn't likely notice an IQ difference between the Sigma and Sony.  I don't expect to print too much and not particularly large and I try not to pixel peep.  Still, I do a good bit of casual shooting where I think the extra light coupled with the aid of OSS for static scenes might be a big help.   The jury is still out in terms of a decision ....

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow