What focal length/depth of field for indoors wide group shot?

Started May 11, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
morel22
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?
What focal length/depth of field for indoors wide group shot?
May 11, 2013

Hello,

every couple of months I get to shoot an indoors Karate event..

It takes place in a closed hall (same used for basketball usually).. Poorly lit as you might know..

Now cause I can shoot pretty close to action, using a 35mm prime is a no brainer on my D7000 body..

But the challenge when I get to take the final group shot at the end..

With the 35mm I have obviously to step back quite a bit.. The group ranges from 30 to 80 persons depending on the event.. Mostly around the 30 (two rows, 15 persons wide) for quarterly ones, and up to 80 and 4 rows in the big annual events..

Shooting at a wide angle would enable short distance to subject (more light) and better flash performance.. However, some faces do tend to look funny at 16mm for instance.. Perspective issue.

At 35mm (50mm equivalent) is perfect for the perspective but less reflected in and the flash unit would struggle to fill the whole group (using SB-700)..

At the moment I have the 35mm prime and the 16-85mm to play with..
But could anyone suggest out of personal experience the optimal balance for such a situation?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow