All purpose lens set for beginner?

Started May 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
thegammaray
Regular MemberPosts: 268Gear list
Like?
Re: All purpose lens set for beginner?
In reply to smallrewards, May 11, 2013

smallrewards wrote:

hmmm I thought I read post earlier by someone.....mentioning vignetting....  Honestly though, at 19 and 30 it is unavoidable, as are distortion. I am sure they are fine, but the glass is SO important there is a good chance the op will regret not maxing quality if his budget allows, or he may well regret not getting the traditional d SLR

you should really stop down on tripod scenic shots. Do some tests, you will find a big difference for a variety of reasons.

I think glass quality is important until differences are imperceptible. The value of the Sony 35 for the OP should be the max aperture, not the glass quality. I can say with a reasonable level of confidence (85%? I dunno) that the OP will not know the difference between the Sigma 30 and the Sony 35 in a blind test of equivalent apertures under standard viewing conditions.

Also, people stop down primarily for two reasons: sharpness and depth of field. The Sigma is sharp wide open, and depth of field is an artistic tool. There's no major reason a person "should" stop down with the Sigma, with or without a tripod.

thegammaray's gear list:thegammaray's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow