Lightroom Tutorials

Started May 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,493Gear list
Like?
Re: Lightroom Tutorials
In reply to skanter, May 11, 2013

The most important thing to do when you start using Lightroom is to set up a disk storage system and a cataloging system.

There are two main ways - event based and time based.  Of course you can combine the two to some extent by adding the event name to the date and use that combination to name disk folders and collections.  I use yyyy-mm-dd Name as folder name and as the collection name.

Martin Evening - Lightroom Photo Import: Digital Photography Review

Martin Evening - The Lightroom catalog: Digital Photography Review

Since you are familiar with the B&H TV Lightroom videos I won't list them here but I strongly recommend those by Tim Grey and Jared Platt.  I found the ones by Steve Dreyer and Katherine Houghton to be so unorganized and poorly presented as to be worthless.

There are two good DVDs you can buy from Luminous Landscape.

Luminous Landscape - Jeff Schewe and Michael Reichmann - Advanced Guide + New User's Introduction to Lightroom 4

You also want to set up keyword and rating systems.  By adding keywords and ratings I can easily set up collections of subjects and usually find any photo from thousands with a quick search.

Luminous Landscape-Michael Reichmann & Seth Resnick-Assets Managment-Where the #%! are my Pictures

And free.

Scott Kelby Guest Blog - Seth Resnick - Lightroom Keywording in the Library Module

If you are also interested in Photoshop then Tim Greys tutorial is one of the best I have found.

B&H - Tim Grey - Photoshop CS6 for the Photographer - YouTube

A very good source of tutorials is NAPP, the National Association of Photoshop Professionals.  The cost is $99/year, which gives you access to a whole series of tutorials for beginners on Lightroom and Photoshop plus hundreds of written and video tutorials on single subjects, 10 magazines a year, and a live help desk.

NAPP

And a few random links you may find useful.

Staying Organized with Adobe Lightroom 4 | Hammon Photography Photo Blog

5 Ways to Kickstart Your Lightroom Workflow with Matt Kloskowski | The SmugMug Blog

Matt Kloskowski - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Killer Tips

Lightroom Journal | Tips and advice straight from the Lightroom team.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow