6D vs 7D --- Image Quality (there's no comparison)

Started May 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,739Gear list
Like?
Re: 6D vs 7D --- Image Quality (there's no comparison)
In reply to Keith Z Leonard, May 11, 2013

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

Hey I expect that's true for planes 5D3 is probably at least the equal of the 7D, you are not all that focal length limited there, you can still get a lot of pixels on the subject.  That's also true for zoo trips and the like.  It's more animals in the wild (especially smaller ones) that you get into the crop/pixel density vs giant telephoto lens debates having some merit.

Some shots this time in zoo is FL limited such as lions that stay at far end of the rock.  I need 500L there.  I tried 100-400L+1.4x TC III at F8.0.  It's bigger certainly but a bit noisier and noticeable softer.  It seems cropping is slightly better in this case. TC with lens vs cropping depends on quality of lens.  With super-tele lens, TC is (much) better.  With mediocre lens such as 100-400L at F8.0 with TC, not really.  I will try airshows in next two months, Memorial Day weekend Jones Beach show in Long Island first.  Oh yeah, airshows are pretty FL limited that 400mm is not enough except last closing show with big jets.  I want to see if 5D3 can withstand 10mp 1D3 with a little higher pixel density.  1D3 shoots 10fps with 30-raw buffer that is critical to capture some precise moments, also AF faster with stronger battery, also very clean in shadows and no banding after heavy lifting.

Again though, it's not as though the 7D is horrible either, a lot of people use it for shooting weddings and like professionally.  The price/feature aspect has a lot to do with the decision making process here I would think.  Either one is a fine choice for a back up camera, I'd lean 6D if it's all wedding stuff and one can afford it.

Nobody said that.  7D and APS-C certainly remains a nice choice in birding especially small birds as even 800L is not long enough.  Nevertheless current 7D has first generation of Canon 18mp sensor that its high ISO and shadow quality are not that good that most agreed.  Wait and see if Canon next generation of APS-C sensors can significantly improve shadow noise, eliminate banding and improve DR and high ISO to at least current Sony/Nikon/Toshiba 24mp DX sensors level.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NiceNew
NopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow