All purpose lens set for beginner?

Started May 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
thegammaray
Regular MemberPosts: 212Gear list
Like?
Re: All purpose lens set for beginner?
In reply to smallrewards, May 11, 2013

smallrewards wrote:

If we look at the math, and suppose that at 2.8 you are shooting ISO 1600 and a common 1/30th. If there is any fast movement, turning of the head, kids doing practically anything, etc, motion blur will be present. However, at 1.3 stops faster you have the ability to go from ISO 1600-ISO800, and drop your shutter speed to 1/40th. That extra speed will easily elliminate much basic motion blur. And, if you want, you can easily boost that up to ISO 1600 1/80th, and now you have the ability to capture significatn motion and control your shots in a fashion that 2.8 simply can not possibly yield.

Secondly, possibility, if you are regularly using a tripod. you are probably going to be interested in overall IQ when stopped down more than anything. As you use it more and more you will develop a keener eye, and you will start to hate those blurred corners, and distortion, and vignetting, etc more and more as time goes.

I use a tripod for wide-aperture shots, and I've never noticed significant vignetting with the Sigmas. Perhaps my eye isn't keen enough.

But I agree with your first point. Capturing motion in low light is the biggest difference between f/1.8 and f/2.8, and a tripod won't offset that.

On the other hand, that kind of cost starts to make a slightly bulkier legacy lens more attractive. The OP could snag a Canon FD 35 f/2 from KEH for $180 shipped (or a comparable vendor in other countries). They would save ~$270 and lose autofocus and a bit of size.

thegammaray's gear list:thegammaray's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow