Started May 11, 2013 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John McCormack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,360Gear list
Like?
F900EXR Review. 4 1/2 Stars
May 11, 2013

I've been into photography for over 50 years and have used many, many cameras. Digital cameras just keep getting better and better all the time. The F900 is the first Fujifilm I've owned since my F31 died.

I've been using the F900EXR for about three weeks now and just returned from a trip to Belgium and Holland where I used the camera extensively for travel snaps. I usually post process every image, though I find the F900EXR images only require a bit of contrast enhancement and maybe some cropping or addition of a vignette. Here's a gallery of images I shot in the past few weeks: SmugMug Gallery for F900EXR

I've been using Kim Letkeman's settings (see How to Shoot a FujiFilm EXR Camera). I've only shot a few RAW files - they are huge - and processed them in Silkypix. Silkypix seems more responsive than in the past, which I welcome.

I can't comment on the movie functions, as I'm not into video much.

Here is a synopsis evaluation.

Pluses

Very fast AF. Runs rings around most P&S cameras I've used.

Image quality is very good. Colors in Standard Mode are pleasing and accurate, perhaps a bit warm overall. Velvia/Vivid seems a bit too strong for my tastes. There are no controls for sharpness, contrast or saturation.

Image Stabilization is very good.

The lens is sharp edge to edge and in the corners - at least on my copy.

The E-Fn menu is unique and customizable. A nice touch in light of the fact that there are no custom settings on the control dial.

I like the Auto bracketing feature, though I've found that the metering (I like Center weighted) is very good. -1/3 EV works in most daylight situations.

The sweep panorama function is great - one of the best I've ever used.

Minuses

There are no custom settings on the control dial. At least one would be welcome.

RAW files are huge - 20-25MB.

The LCD can be hard to see in bright light, but that's true for most P&S cameras. Note that it is possible to increase screen brightness with a long push of the E-Fn button.

The Movie button can be pressed accidentally if you're not careful.

John McCormack's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
good
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
okay
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow