Started Jan 24, 2013 | Questions thread
caskauge
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon AF 24-85 F/2.8-4 or Sigma 24-70 F/2.8 HSM
In reply to abmehta, May 11, 2013

abmehta wrote:

HI,

I own a Nikon D600 (FF) camera and thinking of getting a zoom in the wide to standard range. I would love to get the Nikon AF-S 24-70 F/2.8 but do not have the money to get that at the moment. So I am considering these two alternatives at the moment.

• Nikon AF 24-85 F2.8-4
  • Sigma 24-70 F2.8 HSM (one with the AF motor)

The two are much cheaper and I think will work for me for the moment. I have read the reviews of both these lenses and still I am pretty confused between the two. I have read about slowness of the lens, and that they are pretty soft and so on. But at the moment I can only spare the cash for one of these. So any help in my selection will be greatly appreciated.

I would like to say that I am a little biased towards the Nikon 24-85 as it gives me that extra zoom but I will go for the Sigma if the F2.8 constant is worth it.

• So my main decision point is the constant F2.8 of Sigma or the more zoom available on Nikon obviously keeping in mind that at the end of the day getting good pictures is the main issue and not the specs of the lens.

Consider the Nikon 24-120 as well. Great piece of glass that is pretty clean at f/4 (wide open) and provides a little more reach than either the Sigma or the Nikon 24-85. Faster focusing, I think, than either of them as well, considering it's from Nikon's 2nd-tier professional lens lineup. It's not much more than the Sigma or the 24-85 as well.

caskauge's gear list:caskauge's gear list
Nikon D700
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow