Started May 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Shield3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,440Gear list
Like?
Fiddled with a GH3 for about 1/2 hour today
May 10, 2013

..in the local camera shop.  Been reading about it lately - I have owned and used 3 GH2's in the past as well as an AF-100, but really walked in their blind short of reading the DPreview of the camera.

This will not be an extensive review at all; just wanted to post my thoughts.

I used the 12-35 2.8 lens and brought my own memory card.  Shot in all manual exposure mode and raw and the highest MOV setting for movies.

The video is amazing and sharp just like I expected.  For autofocus in a pinch though it's pretty much unusable IMO; AF during the video does the typical hunting before finally acquiring focus that is evident with CDAF.  I shoot MF mode anyway, so it's a non-issue for me.

I liked the bigger size over the GH2.

3 disappointments for me; 2 of which I knew about before I picked it up.  No focus peaking, and no Auto-ISO in manual mode.  But the biggest letdown was the EVF - it seemed awful to me.  It seemed to dance around quite a bit, flicker, pulse, and pretty much seemed unusable.  I may have been spoiled by the Sony EVF's, but it's really bad IMO.  Borderline seizure-inducing bad.

I'm sure all of this has been discussed to death here on the forums.  But one thing after bringing home the footage that I just don't understand is all the banding I got.  Sure it was shot under a mixture of very bad lighting, but I've tested and brought home footage from other cameras there and never noticed it to this level.  Is this a common problem with this camera?  Could I have had a bad unit I was messing with?

See this picture - many had banding like this.  Sure I was at ISO 1600, but I never noticed this with the GH2.  This is the local camera guy behind the counter - and no, he didn't have the dark banding colors that go across his face in real life.  Almost all my sample shots exhibit this.  If you click on "view original" and look at the top left it's very evident.  This was a raw file imported and saved with 0 adjustments in any way in Lightroom 4.4.

Shield3's gear list:Shield3's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow