Printing from Aperture - Print Settings / Paper issue

Started May 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
TeleView
Forum MemberPosts: 54
Like?
Re: Printing from Aperture - Print Settings / Paper issue
In reply to Alpha Doug, May 10, 2013

Firstly, thanks to both of you for commenting.

Keven, you said:

In my Print Driver when I select "Print Settings" I then select "Media Type" which has 6 selections available - Photo Paper, Proofing Paper, Fine Art, Matte and Other.  Within EACH of these selections are further selections - I use Photo Paper to print using a Luster paper - the selections here are Ultra Prem Photo Paper Luster, Prem Photo Glossy, Semi-Gloss, etc..

I only have selectable options for Photo and Matte. Which is not good, as my son may want to print using plain papers for his university work. Maybe I need to re-install the Epson driver, or download it again and re-install it. I am using the latest version of Lion on this particular hard disk.

And Doug, all great advise. As to your last advise, I am using the on-screen printing.

Alpha Doug wrote:

... The paper settings in the printer driver that pops up last are merely controls for how much ink gets laid down on the paper.

Makes sense!

Most likely, the reason the print comes out a little darker than your screen image is twofold.  First, comparing a print which gets it's color from light reflecting off pigment vs. a screen which makes color by shining a light through colored pixels is never very accurate, with the print always looking slightly darker.

Yes, I understand that. Even how if you line up RGB, and CMY, you remove the opposite to figure out which colours make what.

However, I have found that if you place a desk lamp with a daylight balanced CFL bulb facing down next to your monitor, and hold the print under the light, you will get a very accurate idea of how well the print matches the monitor.  The other issue you may be having is that you monitor is actually set a bit too bright.  Even though it's calibrated for color, if it is running too bright, then the prints will look too dark.  Well known phenomenon.

Yes, I agree - my screen is set too bright. I am unsure though how to darken it ... perhaps lower it to 6000k? I can also calibrate the room brightness with the ColorMunki, but I am not yet used to all that. Its setting is supposed to be low, at 80 ... but another way around that, is using as you say, a proper bulb ... even room darkness effects the monitor appearance it seems. My monitor even has a should available for it, but I've not put it on. But it would make the screen brighter. I should really do all that, and buy a cheap monitor for normal stuff. If I was a Pro, I'd do that. But two monitors seems a bit rich for home ... I may do it at some time though.

And the monitor people here in Australia, advise about the light too. They say:

It is best to view/evaluate your prints in a D50 dimmable light box (GTI or JUST are good brands), or a more affordable option is to view under 4700k Solux Halogen “full spectrum” bulbs. Solux bulbsare not dimmable but you can control the brightness by the distance of the bulbs from your printed surface. It is better to have a dimmer illuminant (the brighter the illuminant, the brighter the monitor must be set, but the brighter the monitor is set, the shorter the life span of the monitor). Note that every-day consumer-brand D50 light tubes are not recommended due to their uneven spectrum characteristics (can cause colours in a print to look different to what they truly are – this is called metameric failure).

If you don’t yet have a colour balanced light source, please put it on your shopping list and for the time being place the print in your normal print viewing area (eg, on your desk near the monitor). Better to be away from a window, and closer to a constant light source that will not change throughout the day.

So, now you are comparing your image on screen to the same image printed.

Some pointers

- Remove paper white borders from your print, or cover borders with some black card

- In photoshop, select the F button to bring image to full screen with black border, and hide the

palettes with the tab key.

- Size of image on screen should roughly match size of print.

They then say after all that, to "tweak" the monitor to match your image !!

The good news though is that its just a brightness issue ... the colour match is great, which is the most important. But if I can get the brightness right, it will save paper and ink!

I also am keen to print from Quark Xpress, and fortunately the Colormunki generates ICCs files that it says work in Quark. So I'll next try that process.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow