IPS Monitor Choice

Started May 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ilysaml
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
Re: IPS Monitor Choice
In reply to NewsyL, May 10, 2013

NewsyL wrote:

- I'm currently looking into ASUS MX239H 23 inch AH-IPS because of the fast response time (5ms) so is this a true IPS monitor? What should I look at when purchasing an IPS monitor?

Yes it is a true IPS monitor.  The response time is a debateable point of knowledge.  How are they measuring it?  Mfg's have been known to stretch the truth on specs like this.  Regardless, it is not that important.

Only hardcore top echelon gamers think they need that low response time.  I game fairly seriously on my Dell U2412M with its' 8ms G2G screen and I think I do very well.  Top 100 on many FPS servers when I get serious about it.

You want a true IPS tft LCD screen.

First of all thanl you for taking the time and answer me with these valuable information.

So is this a good monitor, should I get it? I read somewhere that 5ms monitors aren't true 5ms monitor and usually range from 7-8ms response time, and that's typically what I can live with, I once had a 9ms HP LCD monitor, and I experienced lots of ghosts in FPS games and fast-action movies.

Bit depth - most IPS panel monitors under $400 USD and 24" or less use a 6bit+AFRC (Advanced Frame Rate Control) system to simulate an 8bit color depth of 16.7 million colors.  There are a few that are true 8bit but they are out of your budget range.  Higher bit depth means less issues with banding (posterization) in colour gradiants.  The reality is, and read the reviews to confirm this, the new 6bit+AFRC system is much better than the old 6bit+FRC so that bit depth issues such as banding and dark area artifacts are minimal.  Not quite as good as a current true 8bit, better than true 8bits from several years ago, but certainly adequate for someone like you, or me for that matter.

So basically a standard 6bit AFCR monitor is quite good for my intended usage?

Input Lag - sure the refresh rate is important for top echelon gaming but so is input lag.  Two of the best monitors for low input lag have IPS panels - the ASUS PA238Q (zero) and the Dell U2312HM (6ms).  The PA238Q is a true 8bit while the U2312HM is a 6bit+AFRC. However.... see the next category!!!

I've always wanted to go for a 120hz monitor for a more smooth gameplay, but sounds like i'll have to pay a fortune to get an IPS panel with 120hz, few monitors out there have such specs and they are quite expensive. So should i go for one of either, I'm not even sure that it's available here in my country, what does the Input Lag really affect?

Minimal Brightness - it is really important for editing images in a near pitch black roo that you have a monitor that can have its' Brightness adjusted down to or below 80 cd/m2 of white luminance (how we measure brightness with a hardware calibrator).  Due the perceptual vagueness of the human eye that allows it to be fooled easily, you have to balance your monitor brightness against the ambient lighting of the room and, in particular, the area within your field of vision when you're staring at your monitor.  If you don't, edited images can lead to issues such as "dark prints".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_illusion

Unfortunately, as good as the PA238Q sounds, it is a bit too bright!  Its' minimal brightness with 0% on the control is about 86 cd/m2.  So you may have to have a light illuminating your viewing area. The U2312HM is about 114 cd/m2 at 0% on the Brightness control.  Usable if you have a moderate amount of ambient lighting but not good for a very dark room.

Many other current monitors can go as low as 40 cd/m2 at 0% Brightness.

I can see some monitors rated for 300/400 CD/M2, so does the monitor represnet so when it's fully 100% brightened? In daylight I don't have an ambient light and i use the monitor as is currently at brightness of 70% and contrast as 80% and it's kinda comfortable to my eyes but only at daylight.

At night i only lit the light for 2-3 hours in my room then completely shut it off, during this time I have difficulty concentrating so I reduce brightness to 50% or shut the light off, but when I have it down I put a small bulb behind my monitor to give me an ambient light around my desk so that my eyes don't get tired and feel the light from everywhere not only from the center where the monitor is.

- I see lots of debates between sRGB and Adobe RGB but don't know the difference, my monitor also have a sRGB mode but I'm always on the standard mode, what the difference between the two mentioned and what should I use?

Most people who calibrate their monitors do so in the "User" or "Custom" mode.  Different brands - different menu names for the option that allows access to all RGB sliders and uses the full native gamut of the monitor.

Wide gamut monitors supporting 100% coverage of the sRGB space and AdobeRGB space are a nightmare for people new to color management issues.

The Web is sRGB and most offsite commercial printers want you to supply the image in the sRGB space.  So sRGB is certainly adequate.  If you were a pro or someone who prints at home on a high end multi-ink wide gamut printer and shoots super colorful subjects on a regular basis, then you would likely want to consider a wide gamut monitor. But to use it effectively you would also need a good quality hardware calibrator - another $250 to $300 expenditure.

As I said above, I have a sRGB mode, it's very good for vision in accordance to brightness and contrast levels, so should I use it and leave the standard mode?

- I won't be printing my photos so I don't need a hardware calibrator or such things, I just want a good monitor that have perfect color reproduction, also how to calibrate it properly.

You sure about that?  Do you edit and/or upload several hundred images a year?  What do you think about discovering in 5 years time that several thousand images you've edited were actually edited so as to induce a color caste in the images that was not visible on your personal monitor?

I'm not getting you here, more sight on this is much appreciated.

- Some folks state that web browsers and not color-managed, how can I know this? I almost use the latest version of Chrome.

Safari and FireFox are the most color managed web browsers in that they specifically reference the monitor ICC profile.  IE and Chrome to a lesser extent and with Chrome you may have to force color management with a custom command statement.  A recent post here states that the latest version of Chrome may not require this command line addition.

I use FireFox for general browsing and for photo sites, IE for my business MS Exchange support, and Chrome for Google cloud apps and Youtube.  Not only is FireFox color managed but I like how it automatically displays images with a dark gray background.

What do you see here - orange or purple car?  Try viewing with different browsers.

http://petapixel.com/2012/06/25/is-your-browser-color-managed/

http://cameratico.com/tools/web-browser-color-management-test/

I use the latest chrome and Firefox browsers, both succeeded in the ICC V2 test and both failed in the ICC V4 test, everything else seems to be in place, except this;

The browser shows accurate colors of the vehicle but the sign above is represented in a dark magenta unlike the photos below which seems to be a bit glossy and oversaturated, what's wrong here?

- Lastly, with my current LED, I set contrast to 80 and brightness to 50, is this a bad calibration? When the monitor is on 70-75 brightness it causes to me eye-strain as too much light comes from it.

A lot of current monitors require a setting as low as 20% to get to a brightness of about 100 to 120 cd/m2 which is a good level for a room with a moderate amount of ambient light.  It's all about balance between the glaring spotlight of your monitor screen and the ambient light around your monitor that you can see in your field of view.

Ok, but won't it affect my pictures view? In another way, would a person using other monitor see a different color tone?

-- hide signature --

Ilysaml

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow