Started May 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
digital ed
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,014Gear list
Like?
Re: boot loader setup...
In reply to Jim Cockfield, May 10, 2013

Jim Cockfield wrote:

digital ed wrote:

http://www.h-online.com/open/features/Linux-and-Windows-8-Fast-Startup-puts-data-at-risk-1780640.html?page=2

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Interesting information Jim. Did not know this even though I have a dual boot Win 7 Ultimate with Win 8 Pro PC.

It probably depends on the boot loader you're using how much of a potential problem you may have in a Win 7/Win 8 dual boot setup.

The last article I referenced goes into how that works in a bit more detail:

http://www.h-online.com/open/features/Linux-and-Windows-8-Fast-Startup-puts-data-at-risk-1780640.html?page=2

Apparently, if you use Win 8's boot loader for starting Win 7, it may be "smart enough" to fully unmount the file systems it's using before booting into another Operating System (e.g., Win 7).

But, personally, I wouldn't risk leaving Win 8's fast boot features turned on in a mult-boot config of any kind.

Frankly, I wouldn't risk using that feature if Windows 8 was the only Operating System being used either.  It's just not worth the risk from my perspective, as I'd rather have everything fully unmounted each time, and have all hardware fully reinitialized at each startup.

So, personally, I'd just "play it safe" by turning off that feature, so I'd make sure the file systems are fully unmounted and I'd get a "real" (clean) shutdown and startup instead.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

I loaded Win 8 Pro as a virtual disk on a separate disk from the Win 7 Ultimate main disk. At each startup I get the windows (I think) OS choice menu. In any case I have not selected the fast boot feature. So far (a few months) I have not seen any evidence of corruption using either OS.

With respect to speed, my Surface Pro with Win 8 Pro boots to the sign on screen within 5 seconds. Advantage of using an SSD.

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow