All purpose lens set for beginner?

Started May 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
trax87
Regular MemberPosts: 370
Like?
Re: All purpose lens set for beginner?
In reply to thegammaray, May 10, 2013

Yeah, maybe I should have qualified my Sigma recommendation. There's no doubt in my mind that the Sony 35 is both higher quality and more versatile, but I always make decisions (and recommendations) with price in mind. I think the Sigma is sharp enough that the extra money for the Sony isn't worth it, and the difference in low-light performance can be partially fixed by a tripod. You can buy both Sigmas and a great tripod for far less than the Sony 35.

But you're right: if the OP isn't worried about cash, the Sony 35 would probably be better than the Sigma 30, and they could just buy the Sigma 19 (and a tripod) alongside it.

I certainly hear you about the cost/benefit of the Sigma vs. the Sony.  Value is always an important consideration to me when making a purchase and the Sigmas clearly have that in their favor.   Perhaps I'm making more of the difference than there would be in practice, but I think there are likely to be times when I either would not have or may not be permitted to use a tripod (e.g., in a music club or if I am out at night on vacation and want to take some city light pictures).    I certainly don't want to waste money on something that I don't need (perhaps "need" is not the right term here).  On the other hand, the mantra I always hear is (within reason) to "spend the money on good glass."   (The Zeiss lens is not, however, even a  consideration :-))

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow