Windows 8 shocker

Started May 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
digital ed
Senior MemberPosts: 2,951Gear list
Like?
Re: be careful, Win 8 "fast boot" may cause file system issues...
In reply to Jim Cockfield, May 10, 2013

Jim Cockfield wrote:

Scott Eaton wrote:

...Win8 starts faster from hibernation....that's it's only benefit over Win7...which makes it more efficient for when I have to plug my laptop into a data center at a remote site and be up and going quickly.

Be careful, as if you're using a computer in a multi-boot config with other Operating Systems, you may find using the new "Fast Boot" features in Win 8 could "bite you" and cause file system corruption.

Basically, what Microsoft did to improve boot and shutdown times with Windows 8 is make use of something that's similar to Hibernate.   Basically, it's keeping a snapshot of part of your memory on disk, the reloading it into memory when you start your machine again.

So, it's not a "real" shutdown and startup from scratch like you'd have with Windows 7.

That can cause issues if you have another Operating System using the same NTFS partitions, since the memory snapshot Windows has on disk that it's reloading isn't aware of changes that have been made the file system since you shut down Windows last.

So, it's a good idea to disable that new "fast boot" feature, so that the system really performs a "clean" shutdown and restart each time, versus trying to reload a memory snapshot from disk, especially if you're trying to user another OS with the same file system.

If you're just using Linux in a VM under Win 8, that's probably not a big deal, as long as the VM is shut down first, even if you have shared folders setup on the same NTFS partitions Win8 is using.

But, if you leave fast boot enabled in Win 8 and use another OS with the same partitions later (even if you're using that OS from a Live CD/DVD, USB Stick, etc.), you could end up with file system corruption because Win 8 may not have full unmounted the NTFS partitions, flushed all activity to disk, etc. that other OS is trying to make use of, and/or assumes that data in cache that it's reloading upon a restart has not changed in any way.

Here's an article with instructions on how to disable that "feature" (so that Windows 8 performs a true shutdown and restart versus trying to reload a memory snapshot with some of the data you were using.  Basically, you can just uncheck the box for it.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/what-is-fast-startup-windows-8-disable-it/

That will mean it takes longer to boot again after a shutdown.

But, I'd rather have a "clean" shutdown and startup each time than risk problems because of the way it's trying to keep a file with a snapshot of some of what was running in memory.

Again, that can cause issues with another OS using the same partitions after a Win 8 "shutdown" if you use using the new fast boot features (since Windows won't be aware of changes made to the file system by another OS with Fast Boot enabled).

So, I'd make darn sure to disable it in a dual boot config of any kind (and personally, I'd disable it anyway, even if Windows 8 is the only OS using the system).

Here's yet another article discussing that feature, that's more specific to using Linux in a dual boot config.

http://www.h-online.com/open/features/Linux-and-Windows-8-Fast-Startup-puts-data-at-risk-1780640.html?page=2

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Interesting information Jim. Did not know this even though I have a dual boot Win 7 Ultimate with Win 8 Pro PC.

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow