Started May 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
call me Skippy
Forum MemberPosts: 53Gear list
Like?
Re: From first effort at street.
In reply to jimoyer, May 10, 2013

jimoyer wrote:

Nice image.

Don't be put off by certain comments.  Unfortunately around here, people sometimes forget that photography is an art, and as such, is about interpretation.....it means different things to different people....and you sometimes (recently,  it seems rather often) get people who feel their interpretation is the only one.

Allthough I dont agree with jimoyer about the picture (I find it kind of boring - but please, dont let that discourage you), I totally agree with the rest he says and would also like to encourage you to continue shooting. If it feels right for you to use a longer lens or whatever you do, continue doing it. I would encourage you to experiment though. Concerning "street photography" I am sure you can find any school and philosophy describing it: some will tell you to get involved and interact with the people, some will tell you to just slam the cameria into peoples faces, other will tell you to just be an observer, some talk about the "decisive moment" other deny there is something like it. I think I remember a longer text about some guy called "Klein" on this site, for example. I made my peace with the tousand-fold choir of voices telling you the "right way" to do stuff and try to see them as different views and philosophies... And if someone tells me I am not doing "street photography" because of this or that or whatever... I dont care. Them calling my photos "street photography" - or not - doesnt add or deduct something from the picture.

For me it is about seeing things in a different way. For me it is about reflecting about things going on and gaining a different view on them. "View" meant in a dual sense here: sometimes its story, sometimes it is just the pure aesthetic of things grouped together or whatever.

Keep going! Get out of it whatever you can. And if YOU like the photo you took: be proud of it and dont let it bother you, if someone finds it "boring".

One for the road:

Stree? No Street? Who cares....

call me Skippy's gear list:call me Skippy's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow